What family planning and reproductive health services does the Health Department offer?
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing and treatment
- Rapid HIV testing and counseling (You'll receive results in 20 minutes!)
- Birth control, including IUDs and implants
- Free condoms and lubricant
- Pap smears
- Physical exams, including breast and pelvic exams
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- Health counseling and referrals as needed
Who can receive family planning and reproductive health services?Anyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, age, income, or anything else! If you're under 18, you do not need parental or guardian consent to receive family planning and reproductive health services. All services are confidential.
What will happen at my appointment?Your appointment may look different depending on your wants and needs for family planning and reproductive health services. We will start by asking some questions about your health history. Your blood pressure, weight, urine, and hemoglobin may be checked. If you need an exam, such as a pelvic, pap smear, or breast exam, you'll be seen by a female Nurse Practitioner. You can get tested for several STIs, including HIV. These tests may be completed with a urine sample, finger poke, or blood draw. If you're under 21, you won't need a breast exam, Pap smear, or pelvic exam; unless there's something you want us to look at. Birth control supplies are issued at the clinic, or by prescription. Throughout your time with us, you can ask any questions about your sexual wellness or general health that you may have!
How much do these services cost?We will bill most insurance, with your permission. Otherwise, we use a sliding fee scale to determine the cost of services based on income. We always appreciate a payment or donation, but we won't turn anyone away if they can't pay!
How can I schedule an appointment?To schedule an appointment, please call 1-800-432-4121 to speak directly with a staff member. They are trained to help you find what you need!
What are the clinic hours?Clinic hours vary each week depending on staff time and clinic location. Please call 1-800-432-4121 to find out the weekly hours and to schedule an appointment.
What makes the Health Department special?
- Our staff is trained to provide compassionate, confidential, judgment-free family planning and reproductive health services for all clients.
- We will not turn clients away if they can't pay.
Why would I receive family planning and reproductive health services?Your family planning and reproductive health is part of your general health. Whether you're currently sexually active or not, plan to be in the future or never will be, taking care of your sexual wellness can help you stay healthy and happy. Our staff does their best to make sure that clients feel safe, respected, and free from judgment at our clinics. Here are some of the many reasons you may want to come in for family planning and reproductive health services at the Health Department:
- Receiving family planning and reproductive health services can help you feel in control of your body, your decisions, and your sexual life.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends that everyone get tested for HIV at least once in their life. At the Health Department, we use the most up-to-date technology. You'll receive your result in about 20 minutes and can feel confident that it is accurate.
- Knowing your STI statuses can help you make informed decisions about your health and the health of your partner(s). If you test positive for an STI(s), we'll set you up with treatment to prevent any possible long-term challenges, or future transmission. (Please know that general STI testing does not necessarily give you a "clean bill of health," as clinicians don't test for every single STI. Your clinician can help you determine which STI tests would be best for you, depending on your age, behaviors, and body parts.)
- If you're interested in preventing pregnancy, we can help you decide which birth control method(s) would work best for your lifestyle, and set you up with it! We offer the most effective methods, including IUDs and implants.
- We can help you with your general sexual wellness by providing physical exams, vaccines, condoms and lubricant, and counseling.
- If you have any questions about sex, relationships, birth control, STIs, or anything else, we're here for you.
- When you feel good about your family planning and reproductive health, you can focus on other parts of your life that may be more important to you.
We want your sexual life to feel positive, fulfilling, and healthy, and we'd love to help you get there! For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 1-800-432-4121.