PUBLIC NOTICE - Resuming Environmental Health Services

Our offices have reopened to the public. We have put many precautions in place to protect our employees and the public. Any in-person office visit will require the use of a mask or face covering and clients will be asked to respect social distancing within our facilities.

We are still promoting remote application processes, if in-person office visits can be avoided. Applications can be applied for remotely with a credit card or dropped off (with payment) at any of our branch offices via drop box. Please call 1-800-432-4121 if you have questions about the application process.

*All applications must have a physical address & property TAX ID*

Due to the ongoing risks presented by potential COVID-19 transmission to our staff and to the community, environmental health field services may be arranged, in advance of any site visits, so there are no unnecessary personal contacts, to the extent possible.

Not observing the agreed upon conditions of site inspections or any condition that compromises the safety of our staff, may result in our staff leaving the site and rescheduling the service and possible reinspection fee charges.


Please email permit applications or nuisance complaints to the appropriate county:

Land Use Services - Underground Utility Marking To comply with the requirements of Public Act 53 of 1974 by the Michigan State Legislature for the Protection of Underground Facilities and to protect our employees' safety, HDNW will be having underground utilities flagged by Miss Dig for all Septic, Well, Existing System and Site Evaluations applications. This will delay all applications for four (4) business days to allow for utility marking.

Codes and Regulations
District Sanitary Code
Michigan Criteria for Subsurface Sewage Disposal
Michigan Water Well Construction and Pump Installation Code

Environmental Health Fee Schedule
Your permit application must be accompanied by the correct fee. Download the fee schedule for the county in which the property is located:
Antrim County
Charlevoix County
Emmet County
Otsego County

Apply for one or both of these permits if you intend to install a new well and/or new sewage disposal (septic) system, or if you intend to repair or replace an existing septic system. Download the application: Antrim and Emmet Counties, or Charlevoix County, or Otsego County.

Apply for this evaluation if you intend to remodel or otherwise change the water and septic requirements of your existing home or property. Use this form only if there is an existing system on the property and the demands on that system will be changing. Download the application: Antrim and Emmet Counties or Charlevoix County, or Otsego County.

Apply for this evaluation if you are the buyer (or the buyer's lending institution) and you need to determine the adequacy of the water supply and sewage disposal system of a house for sale. The evaluation includes the determination of operation, capacity and size of the sewage disposal system and if the system reasonably meets sanitary code requirements. Water samples are collected for coliform bacteria and partial chemical analysis to determine well water quality. The well construction and isolation are reviewed and compliance and/or non-compliance with well construction rules is determined. Water well records are reviewed if available.

Note: There are well isolation requirements; click here for more information.
Download the application: Antrim and Emmet Counties or Charlevoix County, or Otsego County.

Apply for this evaluation if you need to determine the suitability of vacant property for sewage disposal. This application is normally used for property buy/sell situations. Application for permits to install water well and septic system may be submitted by the new property owner following the closing of the sale of the property. Download the application: Antrim and Emmet Counties, or Charlevoix County, or Otsego County.

Apply for this evaluation if you are considering selling or purchasing real estate, and your township or municipatlity requires completion of this evaluation prior to sale, to ensure disclosure of all conditions that may affect or limit future property use and development. Check with your township or municipality to ensure you understand your rights and responsibilities regarding water and septic system evaluations. Download the application: Antrim and Emmet Counties, or Charlevoix County, or Otsego County.

Learn More

A Noncommunity Water Supply (otherwise known as a "Type II"), consists of a water system that provides water for drinking or household purposes to 25 or more persons at least 60 days per year or has 15 or more service connections. A few examples are schools, restaurants, churches, campgrounds, industries and highway rest stops with their own water supply.

Learn More


The Food Safety Program provides a number of services to ensure the proper handling and distribution of food served to the general public. This includes:

  • Conducting inspections of restaurants, festival food booths, and mobile food vehicles
  • Conducting investigations of food-borne illness complaints and outbreaks
  • Providing Food Safety Education
  • Conducting plan review for new facilities or the remodeling of an existing establishment

If you are a current food operator or need more information, our food inspectors can be very helpful in guiding you through the process.

Rhiannon Pomerville, CP-FS
Antrim Office : 231-533-1004

Jeremy Fruk, MSA, REHS
Charlevoix Office: 231-547-7660

Michele Mapes, CP-FS
Emmet Office: 231-347-4694

Linda Smith
Emmet Office: 231-347-4102

Holly Brindley
Otsego Office: 989-732-6867

Food Service License Application 2022
Plan Review Packet
SOP Packet
STFU Intent to Operate form

These licenses are issued to events where a temporary food operation is established to prepare and serve food to the public for a limited time. The operation must adhere to all food safety principals and inspections are required to assure safety of the public and issuance of a temporary license for a specific location and length of operation. Applications for a temporary food license must be made 5 business days prior to the event, or a late fee will be assessed.

Temporary Application Form

Other Permits

The safe operation and maintenance of public swimming pools and spas are regulated and licensed by the Department of Environment, Great Lakes and Energy (EGLE). Annual inspections are conducted by the health department to assure these facilities are safe for the public and are meeting state requirements for proper operation.

For more information, visit Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) website.

Body art is becoming increasingly popular and the implementation of statewide requirements for body art facilities aims at decreasing the risk of transmission of bloodborne diseases such as hepatitis B (HBV), hepatitis C (HCV), and human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Licenses are issued by MDHHS after a satisfactory inspection by local health department environmental health staff.

Information about Michigan's Body Art regulations, lists of approved facilities, licensing process or how to file a complaint may be found at Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) website..

Michigan's Public Health Code and the administrative rules establish the requirements for building and operating a campground. A license from the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy is required to operate a campground in the State of Michigan, which requires annual inspection by the local health department. The health department conducts campground inspections for permanent campground facilities and issues temporary campground licenses, operating less than two weeks.

For information relating to the state campground program, visit Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) website.