Which Permit Do I Need?

Note: Your permit application must be accompanied by the correct fee. Download the fee schedule for the county in which the property is located:

Antrim county
Charlevoix county
Emmet county
Otsego county

Residential Well and/or Septic Apply for one or both of these permits if you intend to install a new well and/or new sewage disposal (septic) system, or if you intend to repair or replace an existing septic system.

Existing System Evaluation
Apply for this evaluation if you intend to remodel or otherwise change the water and septic requirements of your existing home or property. Use this form only if there is an existing system on the property and the demands on that system will be changing.

Residential Real Estate Evaluation Apply for this evaluation if you are the buyer (or the buyer's lending institution) and you need to determine the adequacy of the water supply and sewage disposal system of a house for sale. The evaluation includes the determination of operation, capacity and size of the sewage disposal system and if the system reasonably meets sanitary code requirements. Water samples are collected for coliform bacteria and partial chemical analysis to determine well water quality. The well construction and isolation are reviewed and compliance and/or non-compliance with well construction rules is determined. Water well records are reviewed if available.
Note: There are well isolation requirements; click here for more information.
Apply for this evaluation if you need to determine the suitability of vacant property for sewage disposal. This application is normally used for property buy/sell situations. Application for permits to install water well and septic system may be submitted by the new property owner following the closing of the sale of the property.

Apply for this evaluation if you are considering selling or purchasing real estate, and your township or municipatlity requires completion of this evaluation prior to sale, to ensure disclosure of all conditions that may affect or limit future property use and development. Check with your township or municipality to ensure you understand your rights and responsibilities regarding water and septic system evaluations.

Type II Water
Apply for this permit if you intend to install a Noncommunity Water Supply (otherwise known as a "Type II"), consisting of a water system that provides water for drinking or household purposes to 25 or more persons at least 60 days per year or has 15 or more service connections. A few examples are schools, restaurants, churches, campgrounds, industries and highway rest stops with their own water supply.