Michigan's Smoke-free Air Law

As of May 1, 2010, Michigan residents and visitors are protected from exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke in all workplaces, including restaurants, bars, hotels and motels, thanks to the Dr. Ron Davis Smoke-free Air Law. Visit Michigan's Smoke-Free Air Law website for the most up-to-date information about the law, exemptions allowed, frequently asked questions, tools for businesses to prepare for the law, and tobacco dependence treatment information for citizens at www.michigan.gov/smokefreelaw.

Smoke-Free Air Law Complaints

If you observe or note a possible violation, please notify the owner or manager of the establishment when feasible, and give them the opportunity to take the appropriate steps to resolve the situation before a formal complaint is filed. If the violation is not resolved, you can report the violation for further action. The violation must fall into one of the following categories to be a valid complaint:

› Lack of "No Smoking" signs or the international "No Smoking" symbol at the entrances where smoking is prohibited
› Ashtrays or other smoking paraphernalia found in an area where smoking is prohibited
› Not informing individuals who are smoking that they are violating state law
› Not refusing service to an individual who violates the smoke free law
› Not asking an individual who violates the smoke-free law to refrain from smoking and if the individual continues to smoke, not asking the individual to leave non-smoking area

To report a violation at a food service establishment in Antrim, Charlevoix, Emmet and Otsego counties, please contact the Health Department of Northwest Michigan at (231) 547-6523. Please note: If you do not want to leave your name and/or contact information, you can file your complaint anonymously, but the Health Department will not be able to contact you if further information is required.

For complaints relating to non-food service establishments, please call the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Complaint Line at (517) 241-6303.